January 20, 2005

Harvey Cards

Every once and a while I like to look at these to remind myself exactly how to be creative. While the suggested thoughts are intended for design brainstorming, they can tranfer to anything. They provide a basic list of ways to challenge an idea. I am especially interested in this process. Recently the book "Rapid Viz" was suggested to me. The book and cards hint toward a process of breaking the world down, and rebuilding it better. The dream is to have it all be second nature. I am curious about a person's non-instinct to redesign. Perhaps, as the world deteriorates people begin to develope a new sense of rebuilding. When the objects around us don't directly hurt us, how do we realize better ways of building them?

-Jake

2 Comments:

At 8:38 PM, Blogger T said...

Hmm. If you like the Harvey Cards, you might spend some time checking out Altshuller's 40 principles for innovation. Check the web for Triz resources. It's an interesting method for fostering creativity and innovation not strictly limited to design.

 
At 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And don't forget Obliques Strategies by Brian Eno (available in various versions around the net).

The big thing for me about creativity is doing the work, so I also recommend _The War of Art_ about overcoming resistance and procrastination.

Do you have a del.icio.us login? I'd like to follow your bookmark trail.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.